Sympa-Dynamic List Membership
Sympa list administrators may optionally set up external data sources to allow dynamic population of list members. This enables schools, for example, to have a constantly up-to-date staff mailing list without any management effort by an administrator.
1. Navigate to the list management system URL (if you do not know your school's Sympa URL, please contact your ESU technical staff or help desk).
2. Create a new list, or choose an existing list
3. Go to the "Admin" section of the list
4. Go to "Edit List Config"
5. Go to "Data sources setup"
6. Scroll down to the "LDAP query inclusion" section as seen below
7. Fill in the fields based on the pointers below. Some fields will need to be filled in exactly as below and some will be determined by the users intended to be members of the list.
short name for this source: GNENC (Can be anything descriptive)
remote host: ldap.gnenc.org
ssl cipers user: ALL
use SSL (LDAPS): yes
SSL version: sslv3
remote password: (Contact your ESU)
remote user: (Contact your ESU)
suffix: *See explanation below. This will depends on the users you want on the list
search scope: sub
connection timeout: 300
extracted attribute: mail
selection (if multiple): all
*Suffix explanation: The suffix represents the LDAP dn of the users you want on the list. For example, if you wanted the Kearney staff you would use something like ou=kearney,ou=esu10,ou=project42,dc=k12,dc=ne,dc=us. The first "ou=" represents the school and the second "ou=" represents the ESU that school is associated with. This is for users in the ESU's domain, in this case email@example.com. If the school has their own domain, the suffix structure is different.
If the school has their own domain, the structure is ou=Staff,o=schooldomain.org,o=esu10.org,o=gnenc,dc=k12,dc=ne,dc=us. The "ou=" represents whether the users included should be "Staff" or "Student" type. Alternatively, the "ou=" section can be left off to include both staff and students in the list. The first "o=" section represents the school's domain (such as gibbonpubilc.org). The second "o=" represents the ESU's full domain (such as esu10.org). The rest of the suffix structure should be copied as presented above. Please contact your ESU for help constructing the suffix if you have questions. Incorrect suffixes can lead to incorrect users being a part of the list.
8. Save the settings by choosing "Update."
If all goes well the list will be populated and then updated on a regular interval. If you get an error message go back and keep trying or contact your ESU for more help. Data sources can be tricky but can be extremely helpful when configured correctly.