NOTE: Documentation updated Friday, September 30, 2011. Follow instructions carefully as there was an error in previous documentation.
NOTE 2: If you utilize the Squirrel Mail address book to send email to "lists" take special note. Remove those groups prior to migrating your addresses to SOGo. SOGo does not use lists in the same way and the migration of these lists will cause issues. Please look at Sympa for list management.
Squirrel Mail is also known as ESU Webmail
This service will no longer be offered after December 31, 2011 . We recognize that many of our users are still using Squirrel Mail and we want to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible. The instructions offered in this article will help users migrate data to our other services.
Please note that NO email will be lost in this transition; Squirrel Mail does not actually house email messages. Users will only be responsible for moving any contact addresses.
The new webmail service offered is called SOGo. Links will also be presented on each ESU website home page as well as in this portal on the home page.
Migrate Contacts/Addresses from Squirrel Mail to SOGo Mail
Watch a how-to video: Migrate Contacts from Squirrel Mail to SOGo
See Squirrel Mail Migration FAQ
Note: SOGo has a global address book already built-in. This means that you do not need to migrate any contacts that have ESU (esu10.org, esu11.org, esu15.org, esu16.org, panesu.org) email addresses. Prior to migrating your contacts, please sort through them and remove any colleagues with addresses at ESUs. It is advisable to export a complete backup of all your contacts before removing any just in case you remove the wrong ones. If you have questions or need help, please seek help from your IT department before attempting the migration.
Expert Migration Rundown (skip to Step-by-Step Migration if you need more detail)
1. Login to Squirrel Mail
2. Clean up contacts
3. Export contacts (See updated step 5 in the "Step-by-Step Migration" before exporting)
4. Run Contacts through online migration tool (http://homepage.mac.com/phrogz/CSV2vCard_v2.html)
5. Save converted contacts in a new document with extension ".vcf"
6. Login to SOGo
7. Go to SOGo Address Book
8. Right click in left pane and Import Cards
1. Login to Squirrel Mail Webmail as you normally would. Links are below:
2. Once successfully logged in, navigate to your Addresses by clicking the "Addresses" link at the top as seen below:
3. Sort through your contact list. Clean up old addresses or ones you do not need. Also, remove any addresses for ESU email users because the new webmail application has a built-in global address book. (esu10.org, esu11.org, esu15.org, esu16.org, panesu.org)
A. To remove a contact, check the box to the left of the name.
B. Scroll down and click the "Delete Selected" button to complete the removal.
WARNING: You cannot retrieve deleted contacts once you click "Delete Selected". Please double check that you are removing the desired contact.
4. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.
6. When prompted, choose to save the file to your hard drive. This will look differently depending on what operating system you use.
7. Open the file in a plain text editor of your choice. (example: Windows - NotePad, Mac - TextEdit) This cannot be Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet. Your file format should look similar to the screenshot below, except it will probably be longer depending on the number of contacts you are exporting.
8. Select all text in the file. Ctrl - A on a PC, Command - A on a Mac, or just highlight all the text with your cursor.
9. Copy the selected text. Ctrl - C on a PC, Command - C on a Mac, or right click and select "Copy".
11. Navigate to the website below. It will automatically open in a new window.
12. You should see the following page:
13. Paste the copied text in the white text area. Ctrl - V on a PC, Command - V on a Mac, or right click and select "Paste"
14. Click the "Step 2 (Specify Types)" tab at the top of the page to proceed.
15. The following types should automatically be detected for you. If your page does not look like this, please go back and try again.
16. If everything looks good, select the "Step 3 (Copy vCard)" tab at the top to proceed.
17. You should see a text area with some cryptic looking text in it. Don't worry! This is what a vCard looks like.
( Copy the text generated in the csv to vCard web program) Crtl - A on a PC, Command - C on a Mac, or right click and select "Copy"
18. Open a new file in your plain text editor from before.(For Mac users make sure you select the format tab and under that select "Make Plain Text") (example: Windows - NotePad, Mac - TextEdit) This cannot be Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet.
19. Paste the copied text into the new file. Ctrl - V on a PC, Command - V on a Mac, or right click and select "Paste"
20. Save the file with a descriptive file name and the vCard extention ".vcf". (example: jdoeAddressExport.vcf)
Congratulations. Your contacts have been successfully exported. Now, let's import them into SOGo.
21. Navigate to the new SOGo webmail application:
Please note that there are no longer separate login pages for each ESU. Rather, the login page is for all of the consortium users. The link below
22. Login with the same ESU email address and password you used previously for Squirrel Mail.
23. The default page for SOGo is your email Inbox. Navigate to the SOGo Address Book as seen below.
24. Right click in the left pane underneath "Global Address Book"
25. Select "Import Cards"
26. Select "Choose File" or "Browse" depending on your browser
27. Browse to the location of the file you saved previously (example: jdoeAddressExport.vcf)
28. Select "Open" or "Choose", depending on your browser, to select the file.
29. Select "Upload" to upload the address book export file.
30. If everything works correctly you will see a message like below.
You have successfully migrated your contacts from Squirrel Mail to SOGo webmail application. Continue to use SOGo now instead of Squirrel Mail and you will be prepared for Squirrel Mail to be decomissioned.
Q: If we have our users on Microsoft Outlook [or Mac Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, other desktop client], will that be okay?
A: Yes. You will not need to worry about migrating contacts. You are fully prepared for the Squirrel Mail end-of-life.
Q: I followed the steps above, but when I click "Upload" in SOGo, my contacts are not imported. What am I doing wrong?
A: There are several possibilities:
1. You may have missed the step asking you to save the vCard file with a ".vcf" extension. SOGo does not know how to handle files without this extension. Please go back and double-check that you followed each step carefully.
2. Your browser or computer may have problems. Please try a different browser and/or computer. If you still experience trouble, seek help from your school's IT department or contact your ESU.